At Mattress Firm our goal is to help you “Save Money and Sleep Happy.”
I love the second part of that – sleep happy. I have been a marketing intern at Mattress Firm for three summers now (lucky me!) and I really do sleep happy. Not because I have a good mattress, but because I love my job! Mattress Firm really is a fantastic company to work for, and I truly enjoy coming in to work every day because I am motivated and encouraged by my co-workers. Fortunately I am one of only a handful of Americans whose sleep is not affected by stress at work. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association, three-fourths of adults whose sleep is affected by stress or anxiety say that their sleep problems have also increased their stress and anxiety: 54 percent say that stress or anxiety increased their anxiety about falling asleep at night.
Studies have shown that stress at work, or in our lives, can affect our sleep. Stress can cause us to have trouble falling asleep or getting a good night’s rest. Despite my passion for my work, sometimes I do have a stressful day. You know those days where you wake up late (I blame my comfy mattress), spill coffee, have a ton of assignments and your computer breaks. When people have anxiety about problems at work, it’s hard to relax at night. Here are a few tips for you to try that will hopefully help relieve some stress:
- Get enough sleep! Aim for 8 hours every night to give your mind time to rest and relax after a long day at work.
- Be inspired! Write down a few of your favorite quotes to read when you are feeling overwhelmed. (Mine is “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish” by Steve Jobs.)
- Listen to your favorite song- nothing like a good jam at work to help fight stress.
- Eat healthy- good food gives you energy to take on the day!
- When you’re having a hard day, smile! Be positive and uplift your co-workers, this will improve your mood and attitude at work and alleviate stress. As Mark Twain said, “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.”
- Write a “to-do” list. This always helps me when I have a lot going on because I feel accomplished each time I cross another thing off the list!
- Work hard, play hard. A job well done is something to be proud of. Work hard during the day and leave any stress or problems at work.
Hopefully these quick tips will help you eliminate some stress in your life or at work. You deserve to Sleep Happy!
This blog was submitted by one of our fantastic summer interns, Megan Anderson.